What It Is



Autoimmune Hepatitis is a rare disease in which the immune system attacks the liver, mistaking it for invading cells. There is no cure, but there are treatments that keep it under control. Prednisone is the usual treatment but may be paired up with or replaced with azathioprine, budesonide, mycophenolate, cyclosporine or mercaptopurine. Approximately 70% of those affected are women.

I am in no way an expert on this subject. Every day is a learning experience.

In this blog, I will revisit my experiences and post current experiences. I will also add information I find useful and probably some rambling.


Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Esophageal Varices

Esophageal varices are bulging veins in the esophagus caused from portal hypertension. This occurs when pressure builds in the portal vein that leads to the liver due to cirrhosis. Survival rate is 30% if they rupture.

An EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy - say that 5 times really fast. Ha! Just say it once.) is a procedure where a small narrow scope is inserted into your esophagus and stomach via your mouth in order to examine the lining. If the doctor feels it is necessary, he may band them to keep them from rupturing.

I have this done once a year to check my varices. Mine are medium sized, but over the the last couple years, they leaked a few times. I say leaked instead of bleed because it was always a small amount and by the time I was checked over in the ER, everything would be good. No matter if it is just a leak, it is still a very scary thing to experience because you don't know if it's a leak or a rupture.



No comments:

Post a Comment