What It Is



Autoimmune Hepatitis is a rare disease in which the immune system attacks the liver, mistaking it for invading cells. There is no cure, but there are treatments that keep it under control. Prednisone is the usual treatment but may be paired up with or replaced with azathioprine, budesonide, mycophenolate, cyclosporine or mercaptopurine. Approximately 70% of those affected are women.

I am in no way an expert on this subject. Every day is a learning experience.

In this blog, I will revisit my experiences and post current experiences. I will also add information I find useful and probably some rambling.


Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Beginning

In July of 2008, I went in for a regular examination and complained of being unusually tired all of the time and achy. My family doctor decided to run a full scope of blood tests with my permission. She was on the alert since I had/have other medical issues. The next day I was informed my liver enzymes were high and a CT scan was set up. Two weeks later, the results showed that I have cirrhosis of the liver. After convincing my doctor I was not an alcoholic more blood test were done to check for hepatitis A, B and C. All negative. An appointment was set with a gastroenterologist. By that time I was jaundiced, had spider angiomas on my chest and I had my legs were all scabbed up from all the itching. I had a liver biopsy done and at the end of September, I was officially diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis (AIH).


No comments:

Post a Comment