What It Is



Autoimmune Hepatitis is a rare disease in which the immune system attacks the liver, mistaking it for invading cells. There is no cure, but there are treatments that keep it under control. Prednisone is the usual treatment but may be paired up with or replaced with azathioprine, budesonide, mycophenolate, cyclosporine or mercaptopurine. Approximately 70% of those affected are women.

I am in no way an expert on this subject. Every day is a learning experience.

In this blog, I will revisit my experiences and post current experiences. I will also add information I find useful and probably some rambling.


Sunday, October 14, 2012

Getting My Varices Banded

Thursday I had my esophageal varices banded. The procedure went well but the overall experience was interesting for me to say the least. I'm a bit loopy on a painkiller right now, so please bear with me. =D

I went into the procedure room fully expecting to have those annoying things banded, when my hepatologist came in he explained he might band them. I was slightly disappointed but had a feeling he'd end up doing it anyways. He also told me, while explaining the procedure and possible outcomes, that 1 in 10 people experience pain after banding. I know my luck and knew I was that one. It could have been one in a million and I would still be that one.  I was right, but I'll get to that later. Since I was in a good mood, I told my hep that I loved being able to go there and I was happy to have him as my doctor (I was not given any anesthesia yet). He looked quite embarrassed (but happy) and told me nobody likes coming to the hospital.

During the procedure, I started coming to. This has happened before with another doctor and it was very painful. Not this time. While it wasn't all that comfortable, it didn't hurt and it was very weird feeling what was being done. I fell back asleep right at the end and woke up in recovery feeling rather giddy. I have no idea why, my only guess is that I was just so happy to have things taken care of.

After being checked over by a nurse, my hep came in to discuss the details. I started to feel pain in my chest at this point and he wasn't surprised. He had done thousands of these procedures and never had to band more than 3 in a person. He banded 5 in me. Also, the varices were extra large (last year they were only medium sized). He had not expected them to be that big. I was extremely lucky that they had only leaked and not burst.

I was monitored a bit longer than normal because of my pain. All the nurses there were so great. I made sure to thank them and did not hesitate to tell them I loved them all. Yeah, I blame the anesthesia this time.

Prescriptions:
Omeprazole - to block acid production
Sucralfate - to coat my esophagus and protect it from acid, bile, and enymes. Also to keep food    from breaking the rubber bands. It's liquid and actually tastes pretty good.
Liquid oxycodone - for the pain. This also is surprisingly tasty. Not necessarily a good thing.

Prescribed Diet:
Day 1 - full liquids (any type of liquid as long as there is nothing lumpy)
Day 2 - soft foods (like cooked noodles and potatoes, no solid chunks)
Day 3 - regular diet

My Reality Diet:
Day 1 - sipping water and milk
Day 2 - drinking water and milk. Trying a couple tablespoons of tomato soup.
Day 3 - drinking water and milk. Eating a small bowl of homemade creamy potato soup
Day 4 - eating a small bowl of rice crispies. Sipping on a soda. Chancing a couple pieces of lunch meat.

The first two days I couldn't walk around or sit up to long without vomiting so I spent the majority of my time laying on my sides. Yesterday I could walk around more and sit up longer than previously, but I still got nauseous. Today is far better although I still need to lay down occasionally. The pain should have been gone by yesterday, but I still have it today, it's not as bad, but that is the primary reason I need to lay down. Friday, a nurse called to check in on me and I explained what was going on. She felt horrible for me but told me not to hesitate to call if it got worse.

The Pain:
Think of how your chest feels if you have ever hiccuped and burped at the same time, then multiply it a few times. It isn't constant, but comes and goes. When it hits, it travels up my neck and jaw and causes a headache right in the middle of my forehead.

Despite everything, I've been in a very good mood. I'm in the process of having my biggest worry fixed, my husband is doting on me and my best friend spoiled me with the potato soup she made (she spoiled my husband also by making steaks and cookies). I feel blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment