What It Is



Autoimmune Hepatitis is a rare disease in which the immune system attacks the liver, mistaking it for invading cells. There is no cure, but there are treatments that keep it under control. Prednisone is the usual treatment but may be paired up with or replaced with azathioprine, budesonide, mycophenolate, cyclosporine or mercaptopurine. Approximately 70% of those affected are women.

I am in no way an expert on this subject. Every day is a learning experience.

In this blog, I will revisit my experiences and post current experiences. I will also add information I find useful and probably some rambling.


Friday, October 5, 2012

Insurance Woes + My Upcoming EGD

I am envious of anybody that has a good, hassle free health insurance. I empathize with those that have insurance they have to constantly fight with or have none at all. I have the difficult-to-deal-with insurance, which I am covered by my husband through his work. I shouldn't complain over the premium cost considering it is not that much, but the low cost also comes with a minimal coverage area and a need to constantly cross one's T's and dot one's I's. Along with this is the fact that they are not very forthcoming and have been less than truthful. Because of them and my lapse in judgement, I had to have my latest EGD cancelled. During this procedure, I was to have my esophageal varices banded. The result was not pretty (see ER Visit).

The last couple days, I have been in contact with my old gastroenterologist that had made the original referral to see the hepatologist I am with now (my case was a bit difficult). My insurance had told me I could only have him renew my referral if I wanted coverage. My current hep is out-of-network, including about 3/4 of any doctor in the state and half of the doctors within the covered area. Yesterday, I get a call from his office saying that I was covered now with my hep but that they had nothing to do with it. Huh? I thanked them for taking time out of their schedule to help me. They were happy to help, but think something is wrong with the insurance company. You think?! 

Now to get things going with my hep. Called them and explained what had happened with the ER and that my insurance was straightened out. The EGD is now scheduled for Thursday and I will be given a call if they can get me in sooner. YAY! I didn't ask, but I think the GI clinic I go to had a few words with my insurance company. They really do not like them. Can't imagine why...







No comments:

Post a Comment